Recently, Amazon announced that business name and address will be displayed on the public-facing seller profile page beginning September 1, 2020.
Amazon states the change has been made to “help customers learn more about the businesses of a seller and the products that they are selling. We are making this change to ensure there is a consistent baseline of seller information to help customers make informed shopping decisions.”
The change is the latest in a series of moves to increase accountability and deter the sales of counterfeit or unsafe goods on their platform.
For third-party sellers, this is significant as many don’t operate from a traditional office location. Seller Central requires an address when registering for an account, and it’s common for third-party sellers to post their home address.
All sellers, but especially third-party sellers, should take a few minutes to make sure their account is set up to their liking for this impending change.
While this change is new for the US Amazon marketplace, it’s consistent with practices for international markets such as Europe, Japan, and Mexico.
This screenshot, taken from a Seller Profile page on Amazon.co.uk, is an example of what to expect for American sellers beginning September 1st.
The address will be available to be seen by any shoppers, but customers would have to do a bit of digging to find it. Your business name and address will only be displayed on your Seller Profile page, which for most sellers generates sparse traffic.
To find this page, a customer would have to click on the seller name in the Buy Box or under the Additional Sellers if an item has more than one seller available.
At the point of purchase, customers can view Seller Profiles by selecting their name in the Buy Box, or by selecting a seller’s name after viewing other sellers for that listing.
Seller Central added in the advance notice that customers remain advised to use Buyer-Seller Messaging to communicate electronically, so an influx of mail to your business address is extremely unlikely. Still, it would only make sense that sellers may be interested in establishing a line of demarcation from public and private information such as a home address to avoid any potential complications.
To ensure your information is up to date and what you want publicly displayed, Amazon recommends taking the following steps:
1. Login to your Amazon seller account.
2. In the Settings menu at the top right corner of Seller Central, click Account Info to view the Seller Account Information page.
3. In the Business Information section, click the links for the information that you want to view.
4. To change your business name, click Display Name and to change the address, click Business Address. Enter the new information or edit the current information.
5. Once completed, click Submit to save.
Be sure to stay posted on the latest Amazon updates by monitoring the Announcements section of Seller Central and checking our blog for those updates and how they affect you!
- The Viral Launch Black Friday & Cyber Monday Deal: 50% Off First Month of Pro Seller - November 27, 2020
- Happy Thanksgiving, from The Viral Launch Team - November 26, 2020
- Follow The Data: Advanced Amazon Seller Strategy Hacks for Black Friday / Cyber Monday - November 23, 2020